May16ThuMay 16, 2013
And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing.
"Find out how much God has given you and from it take what you need; the remainder is needed by others." -- Augustine
Genesis 12:2 in 2 steps
Step 1: Count your Blessings
Remember all that God has done for you. This is step one. It would be very hard to try and be a blessing to others if you don't first understand how much you have been blessed by God to begin with. Without thinking through this we fall into the trap of just assuming this is how life is supposed to be. We lose our attitude of thankfulness. We begin to forget that "all good things come from above" (James 1:17)
Think about this for a second:
- Most hockey players live and play in countries that make up the richest 99% of the world's population (US, Canada, Scandanavian countries, Switzerland)
- Many hockey players are able to buy equipment to play a game that would pay for a house in another country
- Hockey players skate on frozen water to play a game when many places in the world struggle to find clean water in order to survive
- A healthy, working body is essential to play hockey. Many kids and adults throughout the world don't have the ability to play hockey because of physical inability
Now take a moment and think of all the blessings in your life outside of hockey: Food, clothing, shelter, family, friends.....just take a few minutes and think about or write down all the things in your life God has blessed you with.
In only a few minutes, you probably have a pretty substantial list. All of the things on this list are simply the blessings of a loving God. Don't take them for granted!!
Step 2: Pass it on
The next step is to take action. God did not just bless us in order that we can live a life of comfort, pleasure, and ease, but so that we could expand his Kingdom while we are here on earth. He gives us all things so that in all things we may show others His Greatness. He told Abram in Gen. 12, "I will bless you....SO THAT, you will be a blessing." This is our charge. This is the end goal. Don't just sit on the resources God has given you. Use them to provide blessings unto others. We are his workman (Eph. 2:10). We are comforted SO THAT we may comfort others (2 Cor. 1:4). Receive and enjoy the blessings of God, but don't hoard them. They are gifts to be passed along.
- Have you been blessed with time....Bless others by giving your time to them
- Have you been blessed with money....Bless those who don't have as much with that money
- Have you been blessed with humor....Bless others by making them laugh
- Have you been blessed with leadership....Bless others by using that leadership to Glorify God
What have you been blessed with?comments powered by Disqus
How are you using that blessing to help others?